Common causes of Acne
- Lifestyle disturbance
Excess intake of fried and junk food affects the balance of our Doshas, Vata and Pitta Kapha which makes the blood impure in turn causing Acne.
- Improper sleeping habits
Improper sleep cycles cause imbalance in normal body rhythm and increases the toxins in the skin tissue.
- Stress and anxiety
Stress and anxiety triggers hormonal imbalance in the body which causes acne and sleep disturbances.
- Overuse of cosmetics
Direct impact of cosmetics on skin can be really harsh on the skin leading to acne.
- Hormonal imbalance
Hormonal irregularity aggravates the acne on the face and body. Hormonal imbalance is best seen in pubertal stage, that is why adolescents face major acne outbursts especially on face.
- Seasonal changes
Humid environment can lead to a sticky skin aggravating acne on the skin.
- Overproduction of skin oil(Sebum)
Excess oil secretion by glands on face and roots of hair also aggravates acne follicles eruption.
Therefore, lifestyle disturbance leading to improper sleeping habits and stress and anxiety combined hormonal imbalance typically leads to acne breakouts.
Tips and Treatment in Ayurveda for Acne
To cure acne eruptions, Ayurveda offers a bunch of Ayurvedic treatments that improves the texture of the skin & controls rapid acne eruption.
- Wash your face with cold water 3-4 times a day, it removes all dust from your face and makes it clean.
- Use blood purifying herbs mentioned in Ayurveda.
- Neem (Azadirachta Indica) – Neem is a blood purifier.Its Lepa i.e. the paste applied on face, cleans the face and reduces the oil production.A decoction of Neem, i.e. about 10-15 leaves crushed and boiled with 2 cups of water till half of the water is left, is very good for consumption and detoxifying the blood.
- Haridra (Curcuma Longa) – A face pack made with a paste of turmeric powder and cold water helps to maintain a natural skin colour and tones the skin.Intake of Haridra with about 2 pinches of Haridra cooked in a cup of milk will help in getting rid of the toxins in the blood.
- Chandan (Santalum Album) – A face pack made out of the bark of Chandan tree gives a cooling effect on the skin, dries the skin and helps to improve the complexion.
- Manjistha (Rubia Cordifolia) – The decoction of the root of Manjistha is a good blood purifier and helps to purify blood and reduce acne.
- Amla (Indian Gooseberry) (Phyllanthus Emblica) – Amla has been traditionally used as a rasayana (rejuvenation) . It has the power to purify blood.Amla fruit can be eaten raw.It is commonly found in Indian medicines like chyawanprash. Amla is also candied and used as a Murabba.
- Tulsi (Ocimum Tenuiflorum)- Tulsi has healing properties. Daily intake of 2-5 leaves of Tulsi will maintain metabolism and thus improve health and skin.
- Shatavari (Asparagus Racemosus) – For patients of hormonal imbalance, intake of Shatavari is a boon. Indirectly correcting the menstrual irregularities, Shatavari helps to correct the acne.
Food Habits + Lifestyle Improvement
- Intake of water
Increase water intake to at least 8-10 glasses to detox your body of toxins.
Fasting has had a lot of importance as a part of treatment is one traditional system of medicine. It cleanses your body and helps balance the Doshas(Vata,Pitta kapha) of the body and improves the metabolism and the skin texture.
Fasting can comprise taking plenty of water and lots of raw fruits and vegetables. Fasting can be done once or twice a week.
- Rich balanced diet
For the days we are not fasting, rich and balanced diet which has an adequate amount of protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals and, most importantly, fiber should be taken. For effective tips on how to maintain a healthy diet intake & lifestyle, check out these quick tips:
>> Avoid oily and junk food: These foods make your system sluggish and increase the fat in the body, secretion of sebum and increase acne on the face.
>> Sleeping Habits: Having a regular sleeping pattern and getting a sleep of 7-8 hours is must for a beautiful and healthy skin.
>> Yoga and Exercise: Start your day with at least 30 minutes of yoga or any other form of exercise as exercising keeps the metabolism charged up for the entire day and clears your body of toxins.
Therefore, herbal remedies teamed up with Ayurvedic medicine for acne and changes in lifestyle and diet can drastically aid in curing acne eruption.